Blog Goddess

I am unique, intriguing, and interestingly weird. I am Me. I talk too much. I laugh too loud. I ask too many questions. I love that I am not easily embarassed. I have ADD when it comes to hobbies. I am Me. Accept Me. Reject Me. Who cares? Cause you know you want to be me.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Why I no longer can consider myself chocolate.

As the spokeswoman for the African American(a PC term for black folks) community at my workplace, I feel it is my responsibility to give an educated, well-thought out, humorous, retrospect regarding all things A-A. So of course I was asked my opinions about the Candy Man, formerly known as Mayor Ray Nagin. As I ranted and raved about the images that A-A leaders are presenting to the world, my co-worker posed a question that has really changed the way I see myself. She wanted to know how I felt about him using the specific word chocolate. Here's the thing, I have always referred to myself as chocolate complexioned. Even as a child when my grandmother would call me her chocolate baby doll. Even when on the school yard playground I was known as "do-do brown". Even in the 80's when my skin color was a crime against beauty, I was chocolate. I said was (past tense) because now I cannot in good conscience use the term with the same vigor. The Candy Man has ruined my self-imposed term of endearment. No longer can the sweet confection be fulfilling in my world. Mayor Nagin owes me an apology.

So now what do I call the beautiful dark brown skin that God so wonderfully painted on me. I can think of no name that is as sweet and satifying. I mean let's face it espresso, mahogany, chicory, and "do-do brown" just doesn't cut it. Well, maybe mahogany isn't so bad unless you take into account the movie character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home